Posty bez odpowiedzi | Aktywne tematy Dzisiaj jest czwartek 28 mar 2024, 21:38

Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 1 ] 
Joe Namath was surrounded by a few dozen 
Autor Wiadomość

Autor tematu
Post Joe Namath was surrounded by a few dozen
EAST RUTHERFORD http://www.seahawkscheapshops.com/cheap-authentic-cody-barton-jersey , N.J. (AP) — of his former New York Jets teammates and was again — as always — the center of attention.Broadway Joe held court at MetLife Stadium on Sunday as part of the team’s 50th anniversary celebration of the franchise’s only squad to win the Super Bowl. And, the former Jets quarterback thinks the fans won’t have to wait another 50 years to see another title.Not even close.“I’m as optimistic as I could possibly be,” Namath said a few hours before the Jets’ game against the Indianapolis Colts. “Really, I think all of us are pulling for the Jets to win a championship, mainly for the fans, as well as the players and all. Over the years, players come and go, ownership changes, coaches change, but the fans have been there since ’63, and all of us would love to see the fans get another championship.”The Jets have been searching for a franchise-type quarterback since the glory days of Namath. Several players have had their moments over the years, but the team hopes it has its guy — finally — in rookie Sam Darnold.Namath has met Darnold and spoken to him a few times, and thinks the youngster has lots of promise. But, he warns, it’s not just about the quarterback.“I like what I saw of him in college and what the coaches have had to say about him and his teammates, yeah, I like him,” Namath said. “But you know it takes up front Gary Jennings Jr. Jersey , outside, two sides of the ball. It’s a team game. Sam will be good. You just need all the pieces to fit, though. You’ve got to have a complete team.”When a reporter suggested that it takes time to build that for most teams, Namath laughed.“You know, 50 years is enough time,” Namath said. “Fifty-one, 52, they should be getting it done in the next few years.”The Jets are 2-3 and looking to win consecutive games for the first time in more than a year. They’re still building for the future, and Namath declined to give his full thoughts on this year’s squad.“If I really said what I thought, I would be misinterpreted, so I’m not going there,” he said. “I’m pulling for them. Let’s just leave it at that, you know? They’re going to keep improving and don’t say a team can’t beat another team. On any given day, the Jets can beat anybody. We’ve got to see what happens today.”Darnold and the Jets defeated the Colts 42-34, with Jason Myers setting a franchise record by kicking seven field goals.Namath was also asked about the other quarterback in town, Eli Manning, who is struggling through a tough season as the Giants are off to a 1-5 start. There have been suggestions that the 37-year-old Manning could be nearing the end of his career. Namath, who spent his final NFL season with the Los Angeles Rams in 1977 http://www.seahawkscheapshops.com/cheap-authentic-phil-haynes-jersey , knows what it’s like having to deal with the difficult decision of having to call it quits.“It depends on the guy, depends on the dude, you know?” Namath said. “Eli, if he’s coming to that time and they talk about it, I bet you he handles that better than 99 percent of the dudes that come to the end.”Namath, who famously delivered on his Super Bowl guarantee and beat the then-Baltimore Colts in 1969, was thrilled to be spending time with so many of his former teammates such as Don Maynard, Emerson Boozer, Earl Christy and John Schmitt who helped lead one of the biggest moments in pro football history.The team was honored during a halftime ceremony at midfield, and a green and white banner that reads “Super Bowl III Champions” was unveiled near one of the top sections of the stadium.“It’s a joy,” Namath said of being with some of his former teammates. “It’s sincerely a joy. It’s like you’ve not been apart. Guys you haven’t seen for years, it’s like normal. It’s, like, comfortable.’ PITTSBURGH (AP) — All those positive vibes created by their big win over Baltimore three weeks ago are gone — mostly forgotten.The Browns are fading fast.And coach Hue Jackson or offensive coordinator Todd Haley could vanish soon.“We have to go to the drawing board,” Jackson said following a 33-18 loss Sunday to the Steelers that wasn’t that close. “We have to get better. We aren’t where we need to be, bottom line.”Cleveland squandered early scoring chances, settling for field goals when touchdowns were needed, and the Browns (2-5-1) dropped their third straight game Ugo Amadi Jersey , raising more questions about Jackson’s future.A week after pledging to do whatever was necessary to fix Haley’s offense, Jackson, now 3-36-1 in two-plus seasons, doesn’t seem to have a strong handle on any aspect of his team.Cleveland gained 119 yards in the first quarter — but just 118 more over the final three. The Browns line didn’t do enough to protect rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield; the playmakers didn’t make enough plays; and once again, Cleveland’s offense bogged down after the defense forced turnovers.The Browns also allowed 421 yards and missed numerous chances to tackle Steelers running back James Conner, who picked up 146 and scored twice. Also, kicker Greg Joseph was off target on a field goal and extra point.Following the game, Jackson used the word “disheartening” to describe the wayward kicks.He might as well been talking about his team’s overall performance as the Browns dropped their 15th straight game at Heinz Field.“It was a chance for us again to make a mark in the AFC North,” Jackson said. “Seems like we didn’t grab what I think we had a chance to grab.”The loss followed another turbulent week for the Browns, who have lost 25 consecutive road games — one shy of the NFL record held by the Detroit Lions (2007-10). Jackson’s postgame comments in Tampa Bay last week about “diving” in to help Haley turned into awkward news conferences during which both coaches insisted they were united.Jackson refused to dignify a report that he may soon fire Haley if the team doesn’t improve on offense.“I don’t want to talk about or give legs to anything about last week,” Jackson said. “I said what I said out of frustration. That’s over and done with. Let’s go watch the tape and see how we can get better.”Jackson said he has no issues with Haley.“There’s nothing wrong with my relationship with Haley,” he said. “I said what I said last week, and obviously, it had legs, but I never said I wanted to take away play calling. I said I wanted to help. That’s it. Now all of the sudden it’s this big ol’ thing because sure everyone’s going to look and say what’s going on? The only thing that’s going on is we need to get better. We need to coach better.”Jackson believes he still has the attention of his players, and isn’t concerned about them giving in.“Still up,” he said about the team’s overall mood. “Frustrated, mad http://www.bengalsauthorizedshops.com/authentic-drew-sample-jersey , don’t like to lose like that. But this team will stick together and keep fighting.”Defensive end Myles Garrett raised some eyebrows when he was asked if the Browns, who tied the Steelers in Week 1 and beat the Ravens in overtime on Oct. 8, are going backward.“I think we just took the wrong approach this time,” he said, referring to Cleveland’s defensive game plan. “I think we should’ve just stayed with what we did the first time, just go with base calls and punch them in the mouth.”Browns rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield threw a pair of touchdown passes, but spent much of the day under pressure from Pittsburgh’s rush.Mayfield was only sacked twice, and he did all he could to avoid a question about the Jackson-Haley relationship.“I try not to pay attention to that stuff,” he said. “I’m invested in the game plan and invested in trying to learn and grow with some of these receivers. Trying to get the timing down, trying to get the trust, so that’s above my pay grade. I’m not worried about that. When it comes down to it, we come out here, we have to play the game to win.”Browns left guard Joel Bitonio echoed Mayfield’s remarks. He wasn’t going to get caught in a perceived tug-of-war between his coaches or comment on Haley, who had a forgettable return trip to Pittsburgh as an opponent after six seasons as the team’s offensive coordinator.“We’re trying to do our best with what we have out there,” Bitonio said. “I don’t think you can pinpoint it on one person.”

niedziela 29 wrz 2019, 03:11
Odpowiedz w temacie   [ Posty: 1 ]