Posty bez odpowiedzi | Aktywne tematy Dzisiaj jest czwartek 28 mar 2024, 17:02

Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 1 ] 
Should the Panthers sign free agent guard Jahri Evans? 
Autor Wiadomość

Autor tematu
Post Should the Panthers sign free agent guard Jahri Evans?
The Carolina Panthers offensive line was already a mess heading into the team’s third preseason game against the New England Patriots. Most Panthers fans already knew about the injuries to Matt Kalil http://www.authenticscarolinapanthers.com/cheap-mario-addison-jersey , Amini Silatolu, and Daryl Williams. The patchwork quilt that is the Carolina offensive line played surprisingly well against the Patriots, but when starting right tackle Blaine Clausell hobbled off the field with a hamstring injury most of us just shook our heads cursed the football gods for vexing us so. While guys like Greg Van Roten, Jeremiah Sirles, and Blaine Clausell played well against the Pats Color Rush Torrey Smith Jersey , it was only one game, and one preseason game at that. While I respect each of these guys and of course want them to play well, the reality is they are all veteran journeymen playing on minimal contracts. Why? Because none of them have demonstrated the ability to land and keep a full-time starting job in the NFL. Can a team with deep playoff aspirations count on journeymen to keep Cam Newton clean over the course of a 16-game season? That question leads me to wonder if the Panthers should sign veteran free agent Jahri Evans, one of the players previously mentioned here at CSR as a “possible flotation device.” Evans is 35 but has started all of the 183 games he has appeared in over the course of his 12-year career. He started 14 games as a one-year rental for the Packers last year and scored a PFF grade of 71.7 and “average” rating. Here is what PFF had to say about his 2017 performance. “Patching up a problem spot” with a “capable set of hands” at left guard may be exactly what the Panthers need. Evans’ 71.7 PFF grade was better than Van Roten (62.9), Sirles (52.0) Color Rush Greg Van Roten Jersey , and Silatolu (50.2) last year. PFF grades aren’t perfect but in my view they are the best objective measure available to assess offensive line performance. The salary cap and roster implications can be managed to accommodate signing Evans. Per Over the Cap, the Panthers currently have $5.8 million in available cap space. The one-year deal Evans signed with the Packers last year was for $2.25 million, so the Panthers could probably get him at or slightly below that number. As for the 53-man roster, why not just cut Amini Silatolu? Let’s face it, almost none of us here at CSR were very happy when he was re-signed earlier this year. Greg Van Roten has looked better this preseason than a healthy Silatolu has ever looked. Releasing Amini would also free up an additional $630 http://www.authenticscarolinapanthers.com/cheap-daryl-williams-jersey ,000 in cap savings which lessens the impact of signing Evans. The question then becomes if you’d rather have Amini Silatolu and an additional $1.5 million or so in cap space, or Jahri Evans. It’s an easy answer for me. I’d take Evans in a heartbeat. I’d rather have a 35-year-old productive but declining Evans than a 29-year-old Silatolu who has never been very productive. Unless Evans’ athleticism has unexpectedly fallen off the cliff since last year, he could conceivably take the starting left guard spot or at worst provide competent, capable depth.The offensive line is the biggest red flag I see with the 2018 Panthers (with cornerback a close second). Watching Cam Newton run for his life in 2016 behind a sub-par offensive line was an awful experience. Cam went from the NFL’s MVP in 2015 to having his worst professional season in 2016. His Quarterback Rating went from a career high 99.4 in 2015 to a career low 75.8 the following year, mostly due to shoddy blocking. Let’s not kid ourselves - this could happen again in 2018. I like what I’ve seen from Van Roten but let’s remember he’s 28 and has never started an NFL game. He played 10 offensive snaps for the Panthers last year and couldn’t beat out Amini Silatolu (256 offensive snaps) for playing time. I’m hesitant to assume that he’ll suddenly morph into a legitimate starter based on a few promising preseason games. Sorry for the potentially unpopular opinion. Carolina needs to shore up the offensive line ASAP. There are almost no solid free agents left on the market. Signing Jahri Evans to an affordable one-year deal would be a positive step in that direction.Panthers training camp storylines and roster battles review with Panthers Source live With players reporting to training camp yesterday Color Rush Christian McCaffrey Jersey , it was a good time to review the various talking points and position battles heading into the 2018 NFL preseason for the Carolina Panthers. I joined Tripp Morgan from Panthers Source and we had a nice long discussion about all the different things to watch. Have a look and a listen:Some of the topics of discussion include:The future of Panthers training camp, to stay at Wofford or not to stay at Wofford?Cam Newton training on social mediaAll the new coaching and personnel changes, and of course the ownership change to David TepperExtensive chatter about the left guard battle and the battles that will take place in the defensive backfieldLots of love for Julius PeppersNot a lot of love for Amini SilatoluCan the Panthers find a safety amongst a group of relative unknowns?As training camp plays out look for a lot more videos both from me personally and with different blogs around the internet, there will certainly be a lot to talk about. The best way to make sure you see our live videos as they are posted is to like and follow the Cat Scratch Reader Facebook page.

czwartek 14 mar 2019, 06:45
Odpowiedz w temacie   [ Posty: 1 ]