Posty bez odpowiedzi | Aktywne tematy Dzisiaj jest piątek 29 mar 2024, 16:35

Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 1 ] 
the Steelers still have future 
Autor Wiadomość

Autor tematu
Paul Posluszny left the game the same way he played – with the utmost class.

The veteran middle linebacker retired Tuesday after 11 NFL seasons with Buffalo and Jacksonville Braydon Coburn Jersey , calling it quits because he can ”no longer compete at a level that I find acceptable.”

Posluszny delivered the news in a heartfelt letter that thanked family members, former coaches at every level and teammates past and present.

”With much sadness but without regret, I realize that I am no longer able to adhere to the unwavering standard of excellence that professional football demands,” Posluszny wrote. ”I say this with a heavy heart: I am retiring from the NFL. I love the game of football so much, and I know there is truly only one acceptable way to play. Knowing I can no longer compete at a level that I find acceptable, I have chosen to end my football career.

”This decision is mine alone, and although I know this will not bring me happiness, it is the right and honorable action to take at this time in my life.”

The Pennsylvania native and Penn State graduate was an old-school linebacker, a player who liked tackling way more than talking. He had a chiseled chest, a barely noticeable neck and scars up and down his body.

Posluszny started his career in Buffalo before playing the final seven years in Jacksonville. He led the Jaguars in tackles five times. His 973 career stops trail only Daryl Smith (1,089) in Jacksonville’s record book.

”I believe everyone should thank Paul for a career representing everything to love about the NFL and the game of football Jakub Vrana Jersey ,” team owner Shad Khan said in a statement. ”Paul competed hard and relentlessly, but always represented his community with honor and class, as we saw during his years here with the Jaguars.”

The 33-year-old Posluszny was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent Wednesday. With Jacksonville unlikely to re-sign him following the emergence of Myles Jack, Posluszny opted to walk away for good.

He did so with an elegant letter, planning to ”spend the rest of eternity” trying to repay his wife for everything she has done for him and promising to do his best to step up the challenge of ”dance class and dollhouses” with his two daughters.

He thanked teachers and coaches at Hopewell High in Western Pennsylvania. He thanked Penn State, including late coach Joe Paterno for providing him ”with a priceless education and wonderful memories.” He thanked the Bills, including coach Marv Levy and late owner Ralph Wilson, ”for allowing me to be a small part of that storied franchise and amazing city.”

He also thanked Jaguars coach Doug Marrone and top executive Tom Coughlin ”for bringing us out of the darkness and back into the light, and for demanding a non-negotiable standard of excellence that will propel the Jacksonville Jaguars forward for years to come. I am excited to watch and cheer for you.”

Posluszny made one Pro Bowl (2013) and was part of one winning seasons (2017). He also made the playoffs for the first time in his career last season and finished one victory shy of the Super Bowl.

”These last two or three years, I promise you I saw him smile more than I did before – even in pictures,” fellow Jaguars linebacker Telvin Smith said. ”I know he went through another phase in life having his daughters. That opened him up in a different way. I saw that Kyle Turris Jersey , and it gave him these last two or three years to go battle with us.”

Le'Veon Bell and the Pittsburgh Steelers are at odds, battling and bickering over money. It's a football family fight.

The Browns won't play peacemakers.

"They can beat each other up for all we care," Cleveland coach Hue Jackson said Wednesday. "It does not matter."

But Bell's absence from Sunday's season opener between the AFC North neighbors could have a major impact on Cleveland's chances of ending a 17-game losing streak 鈥?and perhaps infuse a little life into a dormant rivalry.

Bell still hasn't joined his teammates as the Pro Bowl running back continues his holdout for a new contract. The stare-down between the sides has reached a critical juncture 鈥?and either a breaking or turning point 鈥?as the Steelers are days away from opening a new season.

When the 26-year-old Bell didn't report to the team and sign his $14.5 million one-year contract tender earlier this week, several of the team's offensive linemen voiced their displeasure toward a player they normally do all they can to protect.

"Here's a guy who doesn't give a damn, so I guess we'll treat it as such," veteran guard Ramon Foster said. "I just hate it came to this."

The Browns aren't complaining.

Pittsburgh's offense isn't the same without Bell, one of the NFL's best offensive players who ran for 1,291 yards last season despite missing training camp after reporting just a few days before the opener in Cleveland.

No Bell at all would seem to give the Browns an edge.

"He's a talented player," said defensive end Myles Garrett, who sat out last season's first game with a serious ankle sprain. "He's one of the best in the league at his position, so it definitely is an advantage to us. That's up to him."

Bell wasn't himself in last year's opener Vladimir Sobotka Jersey , rushing for just 32 yards on 10 carries and catching three passes for 15 yards. But because he's Le'Veon Bell, the Browns had to account for him on every play.

"He's a great player so he is always going to be a focal point," linebacker Christian Kirksey said. "I just think that we game-planned well. I think that (defensive coordinator) Gregg (Williams) had a good game plan for us to attack their offense. I just think that if it was him or any other running back, we were going to try to shut them down."

Pittsburgh will turn to second-year back James Conner to replace Bell and start. Conner, who survived a cancer scare while in college, had just 32 carries as a rookie. But the Browns been watching a lot of video on him and have been impressed.

"They are different," Jackson said, comparing Bell and Conner. "The other guy is a proven, top of the line, one of the top players in the league. Not that James Conner is not that, he just has not done it to the level that Le'Veon has.

"For their offense Duncan Keith Jersey , he knows how to play in their system. He is a good football player. He will make plays for them. We have to do everything that we can to shut down the run game, whether it is Le'Veon or whether it is James Conner. Just have to do our job on defense the best hat we can."

Of course, the Steelers still have future Hall of Fame quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and All-Pro receiver Antonio Brown to offset Bell's loss.

And while the Browns won't miss Bell, receiver Jarvis Landry did offer support for the back's financial plea.

"Pay the man," Landry said.

NOTES: Jackson will announce his starting tackle on Friday, but the Browns may have tipped their hand with a waiver claim. The team grabbed DL Anthony Zettel from the Lions and released backup center Aaron Neary. The move may signify that Austin Corbett, who has been starting at left guard, will now be the backup center with Joel Bitonio sliding back to guard and undrafted rookie Desmond Harrison starting at left tackle. ... Zettel had 6陆 sacks last season in Detroit.

Tennessee Titans Customized Jerseys

piątek 28 wrz 2018, 03:25
Odpowiedz w temacie   [ Posty: 1 ]